Call for Applications/Nominations
The Southern Management Association is searching for a qualified individual to serve as Editor of the Journal of Management. The term for the individual selected will be four years, with the first year as Editor-Elect beginning in June 2013. The individual will begin accepting manuscripts as Editor-in-Chief on July 1, 2014, with the term ending June 30, 2017.
Nominations and Questions:
If you wish to nominate someone for this position or if you have questions about the responsibilities of serving as Editor, you are encouraged to contact any member of the search committee:
Micki Kacmar, University of Alabama (email@example.com)
Annette Ranft, University of Tennessee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Deborah Rupp, Purdue University (email@example.com)
Chris Shook, Auburn University (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ben Tepper, Georgia State University, Search Committee Chair (email@example.com)
The Journal of Management (http://jom.sagepub.com) is among the elite journals in the field of management. With a 2-year impact factor of 4.6 and a 5-year impact factor of 6.8, Journal of Management is currently ranked 4th in Business/Management and 1st in Applied Psychology. Journal of Management publishes high impact theoretical and empirical papers within the areas of organizational behavior, human resource management, research methods, business strategy and policy, entrepreneurship, and organizational theory, and has a thriving Annual Review issue with a competitive peer-reviewed proposal process. JOM receives over 900 manuscript submissions per year and is highly selective in the articles it publishes. Serving as Editor requires both a commitment of time and good management skills. We have worked to reduce the administrative burden through resources contracted with our publisher, Sage.
The Journal of Management and the Southern Management Association have historically benefitted from a cooperative arrangement between the Association, Sage Publishing, and the Editor’s home institution, which collectively provide the resources needed to run a top journal.
Sage Publishing provides a support team, including:
- A production editor
- A marketing manager
- Peer review technology specialists
- Editorial assistants
- Copy editors
The Southern Management Association provides a sizable budget, to be distributed as deemed appropriate by the Editor. This could be used to support/supplement items such as but not limited to:
- Editor stipend
- Travel expenses
- Local staff salaries (RAs, admin staff)
- Furniture, computer equipment
- Board member gifts
- Event sponsorship
The Southern Management Association also provides beyond the Editor’s operating budget:
- Funds for the editorial board meetings and receptions at the Academy of Management and the Southern Management Association.
- Associate Editor Honoraria
Support from one’s home institution is also seen as necessary for the success of the journal. In the past, support has come in the form of:
- A research assistant to serve as managing editor
- Staff/administrative support
- Physical space for housing the journal office
- A teaching reduction for each year of the editorial term
- Summer salary
- Technology support
Candidates should electronically submit an application in PDF format that consists of:
- A current curriculum vitae;
- A letter of interest providing:
- A statement of goals for the journal that includes any proposed changes or innovations,
- A discussion of how the office will be organized and managed, including details about co-editors, consulting editors, associate editors, or other alternative structures if appropriate,
- Previous organization/management experience, technology expertise, editorial experience,
- A discussion of the financial support provided by the host institution,
- A letter from their Dean certifying the level and amount of support that the institution will provide.
These materials need to be received by the search committee no later than 5:00 p.m., February 28, 2013.
Please submit the two letters and CV via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org